Tuesday, November 19, 2013

              Today, we continued with bread making and we even made the same two recipes as yesterday. I guess that my instructor wants us to learn how to do the basics well before moving on. Seeing as we would be using the industrial sized mixers as a group (I was a group with five other people), we needed to do all the math necessary to find out how much of every ingredient was needed for the amount of dough desired. We have been practicing something called "baker's percentage" for a while in our management class, but not yet in real life. Basically, you take a recipe and since flour is almost always the main ingredient, it is 100%, then you calculate every other ingredient's percentage according to flour being 100%. That way, when we know that we want 9120 grams of dough, we can find out how many grams of each ingredient we need based on the percentages. We started by making the soft rolls in our own stand mixers while the other groups made their dough for baguettes. This went well! It was the exact same process as yesterday, so there weren't any surprises. I thought that once my rolls had proofed and come out of the oven, that they were beautiful! My group then started our large amount of dough for the baguettes in the industrial mixers. It went fairly smoothly, however we needed to add water because it was a little dry. I formed my baguettes and proofed them, and we were even able to bake the baguettes in the new bread oven! It was pretty cool! My instructor was the one who decided when to take out the baguettes, and it seemed as though he may have lost track of time, because mine were a little darker than I would have liked...  But they were still fine. I had my bread graded, and the instructor said that my rolls were good, except some were a little over-proofed. He also said that the baguettes were good and the right length. So that was good to hear. Tomorrow, we continue with baguettes and rolls!!! I have so many!!!!!! I gave away my four baguettes from today to my roommate seeing as he was off to his "sensory" class, which basically consists of the brew masters tasting dozens of beers. They were hopefully appreciated!

Voila!




No comments:

Post a Comment