Monday, November 4, 2013

       Like I said last week, I've been very busy with school, and have unfortunately not been blogging as often. To catch you up on my lab day last Wednesday, we made brownies and lemon squares. It was quite the relief to be baking something a little easier seeing as we had the finicky task of making our own puff pastry the days before. My brownies and lemon squares turned out very well and tasted delicious! My brownies were nice and moist, and my lemon squares (although slightly overcooked) tasted very good as well. Today, we moved on to cakes! Although it's been a while since we made cakes, I am still tired of them! We made three cakes today, two chocolate sponge cakes and one vanilla high ration cake. We only iced one chocolate cake today, and will continue with the others tomorrow. For today, we were making a Black Forest Cake, so we cut the chocolate cake into three slices and painted all of them with a Kirsch simple syrup. We spread some whipped cream and cherry filling on the first layer of cake, then placed the second piece of cake soaked in Kirsch on top. We then spread more whipped cream on that layer, and placed the final round of cake on top of that. Finally, we topped the last layer of cake with whipped cream and also covered the entire outside of the cake with a thin and even layer. It was important for us to try and get a perfect 90 degree angle of cream with the top and side of the cake. Then, we piped 8 rosettes along the edge and put more cherry filling in the centre of the cake. Lastly, we placed chocolate curls along the sides of the cake and on the top as decoration. I think that my cake turned out well! I was fairly happy with how it looked. When everyone finished their cakes, we all brought them to the front of the room table without our names written on them. A student hid our teacher's cake within ours, and he came in trying to find which one was his. He was able to distinguish his from the rest within seconds! To me, they almost all looked the exact same! He then picked out which cake he though was the best, then another instructor of ours came afterwards and chose his best one. They both chose the same one, which unfortunately wasn't mine. That's ok though! I still though that mine was fairly well done, especially seeing as I don't have much experience. Tomorrow, we continue with cakes!

Voila



No comments:

Post a Comment