Friday, November 1, 2013

        I haven't been the most responsible blogger this week. It has been a very busy past few days and I haven't had a moment. Tuesday, we continued with puff pastry. We made lots of different things using the same two puff pastry doughs (Blitz and Classic). We first made a Phitivier. This is two circular pieces of puff pastries filled with a frangipane (which is an almond cream mixed with pastry cream). Once baked, the pastry puffs way up and the frangipane stays creamy. I though that my Phitivier turned out quite well! I had a little frangipane leak out while it baked, but it wasn't too much. Then, we made a Jalousie, which is sort of like the French version of a strudel or a turnover. We rolled two rectangular pieces of puff pastry, and piped pastry cream in the centre. We then placed slices of peach on top of the cream and topped it all off with the last piece of puff pastry that we cut V-like slices into as decoration. This baked, and mine came out nice and golden brown. Next, we made some apple turnovers. We needed to partner up with the person next to us. One person needed to make an apple compote for the turnover filling, while the other had to cut a bunch of apples into slices for the next recipe. Seeing as my partner was far behind schedule, I couldn't make my own apple compote because I would then be behind. So, my instructor gave me what was left of his compote. I had enough filling to make only four medium sized turnovers- which are simply square pieces of puff pastry filled with the compote and folded into triangles.  I baked these and I though that they looked great! Then, I cut the apples into slices to make our next recipe, a Tarte Tatin. This is an unusual "pie-like" pastry. You take a pan, and spread butter and a layer of sugar on the bottom. You then place the apple slices over this and cover the apples with even more sugar. Then, the strange part is that you put this on the burner and let it sit, letting the butter and sugar on the bottom become a caramel. Once you can see the caramel become a golden colour, you cut and place a piece of puff pastry to fit on top of the pan, and then bake this! Once the puff pastry becomes golden, it is done! Once it has cooled a little, you then flip it over so that it is almost like an upside down cake. It is definitely not the most attractive pastry, however it sounds good enough! Lastly, we made Palmier cookies. This is a very easy recipe, where you roll puff pastry into a rectangle and brush it with an egg wash. Then, you sprinkle the pastry quite heavily with sugar and fold the pastry's sides into the centre (like two doors).  More egg wash and sugar then goes on, and you fold it once more. This log of pastry then gets cut into slices, and you fold the ends over to make a palm tree shape. These are baked and come out golden and almost caramelized.  It seemed like a fairly successful day for me, however my instructor wasn't in the best of moods, and didn't seem all that impressed with how my product turned out. I was a little disappointed, but when I got home and tried some of the pastries, I though they tasted great. So I was happy enough!
Unfortunately, I forgot to take many pictures... (again, it was a very busy week)

I have a picture of the most unattractive pastry- the Tarte Tatin

The Phitivier

No comments:

Post a Comment