Monday, February 3, 2014

     Friday we continued decorating the cakes we had baked on Tuesday. For the devil's food cake, we made a passion fruit and white chocolate ganache and prepared it in a similar way as the day before with the cake ring and acetate. We layered the bottom with a layer of cake, poured 3/4 of the ganache on top, then layered it once again with more cake and the remaining ganache. This set in the freezer while we continued with the last cake. For the chocolate butter sponge cake, we trimed both cakes in half, making four layers. We made a chocolate french buttercream. This is a lot like the other buttercreams we've made, but instead of whipping egg whites and adding the boiling sugar water, we whipped egg yolks. This made the buttercream very creamy and thick. We added some melted chocolate to the buttercream to make it chocolate flavoured.  To decorate the cake, we masked it first (I actually did ok with this) then piped a basket weave. Yes I said that I would never become a basket weaver, but here I was weaving a basket once again! I have to say that I laughed at myself a little when I heard we would be doing this.  To pipe this design we used two different tips; a plain round piping tip and a flat piping tip that you would typically use when piping roses. We would pipe a vertical line with the plain tip, then pipe two horizontal lines (one at the bottom then one 3/4 of the way up)accross this line. To continue we piped another vertical line directly next to the line before and placed the horizontal lines above where the previous line were....I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well. I was very happy with how the cake turned out in the end. At first I didn't think that I woul have enough time and would have to rush to do the basket design, but I pulled it off! Finally, to finish off the devils food cake with passion fruit white chocolate ganache, we made a dark chocolate glaze and poured it over the cake. We did this before taking the cake out of the ring, that way the ganache would stay on the top of the cake. What was sort of interesting about the glaze we made was this mirror glaze that we added to it. It was a clear liquid that came in a bucket, and when you add it to a glaze, it becomes very shiny.
Both cakes turned out very well, and I think that my instructor is liking my work. So, yay!

The devils food cake with passion fruit white chocolate ganache


The chocolate butter sponge cake with chocolate french buttercream


PS: We cut into the white chocolate mousse cake that I had made the day before and this is what it looks like from the inside


No comments:

Post a Comment